Whenever I feel panic start to build I go and look at my diaper covers and breath a big relaxing sigh because they are just that darn cute! (I also go and pull up my baby budget spreadsheet and double sigh, because if we stick with it, and don't go hog wild on buying cute diapers, they can be pretty economical as well.) To start out we are probably going to mostly use prefolds with covers but we will also try a few all-in-ones, and a few fitteds with covers, to see what we really end up liking.
Also, to make them seem less daunting I decided that I should practice putting them on. Unfortunately I don't really own anything that is a good "baby" replica that is easily accessible. (Jamie and I both have stuffed animals from our childhood, but they are buried deep in the recesses of the closet.) Therefore I have resorted to diapering Jamie's dried gourd. It makes an mediocre substitute, but better than nothing!
Step1: Gather the necessities (in this case prefold, snappi, cover, and "baby").
Step 2: Successfully wrap the "baby's" bottom with the prefold, affix with a snappi
Step 3. Add waterproof cover...and voila you are done! What a beautiful "baby" bottom! :)
Baby girl and family update:
Baby girl is now 32 weeks done (tomorrow starts the first day of week 33). It is a little crazy to think that probably within 7 or 8 weeks we will be holding her in our arms, and at the latest 9 weeks! (My doctor doesn't tend to let her patients go past 41 weeks...but lets hope it doesn't come to that anyways.) There is so much to do before then, both in getting ready for her and just life in general! For baby girl her main job in the next 8 weeks is to plump up and keep practicing her baby skills in utero (inflating/deflating her lungs, swallowing, sucking, etc). It is hard for me to imagine that she may be not quite doubling her size before birth because I feel huge already...how the heck is another 3-4 lbs going to fit inside my abdomen! More and more my belly is getting in the way of simple tasks. The other day while teaching I dropped my pointer stick on the floor, stared at it waaaay down there, and let out a big involuntary sigh. My students all laughed and one of them picked it up for me...whew!
Future mommy parental unit: huge growth chamber!
Future daddy parental unit: A very excited Jamie who takes it all in stride! He is also currently in full beard glory; however, no matter how hard he tries I don't think he will be able to get his beard as big as my belly. ;)


3 comments:
I Love it all!
I started my diapering life with a 6 month old, and man they are wriggly. A gourd seems like the perfect play mate, just have someone move it around a lot and you'll get the picture! Once you get the hang of it you wont believe how really easy prefolds are (unless you are my husband, who prefers fitteds) My sister and I were just talking about how neither of us use snappis, or even special folds. We just stick it in a reliable cover (with leg gussets) and go. (make sure to push in anything that is sticking out) You of course will find your own magical way.
I've had some issues with detergent build up. Hard water makes it worse. Yippee. Select your detergent carefully. No soap, and No enzymes, perfumes, or dyes. We use Country Save, its made in Arlington!!!! Whatever you end up with, it might be more expensive so you could just use it for her diapers, and another detergent for the families clothes. You hardly need any detergent in the load, honestly its kind of gross how little I use. I've used this link a lot in the past to help with diapering and laundry...
http://www.pinstripesandpolkadots.com/detergentchoicesataglancepspd.htm
You look amazing, and probably you don't even want to know how big your going to get. Even if I could tell you, you wouldn't ever believe me. Those last weeks are insane! Enjoy the ride!!!
much love,
Amanda
Love you guys! There was a great article in the Everett Herald on cloth diapers. You will do awesome. I was amazed at all the info. You two are going to be super parents!! Now I'm all weepy...
Becky
Cloth diapers...you had cloth, I had cloth, gramma had cloth, great-gramma had cloth, etc., etc., etc. YOU WILL DO FINE. And you don't have to worry about stabbing yourself with one of those humongous diaper pins...like I have, many times. I am so much looking forward to re-newing my diapering skill-set. You look great. By the way, The last two months I stood sideways while doing dishes, cooking, and even playing the piano. SIDEWAYS. Love you...and Jamie...and littlest one.....
Post a Comment