Search This Blog

Thursday, April 7, 2011

30 week Baby Girl Update

Baby Girl Update
Well we are now 30 weeks done and are starting out our first day at Week 31. It is a little crazy to think that in about 10 weeks we will FINALLY get to meet her!  Jamie and I are both probably more fascinated at staring at new baby's then either of us ever have been in our whole life.  We end up turning to eachother and saying "We're going to have one of those!". Here are some fun factoids on baby girl:
  • Baby girl is probably approaching 3 lbs
  • Her adrenal glands (which sit on top of the kidneys) are producing a hormone that will cause a cascade in my body that should ultimately end in prolactin being released by my anterior pituitary (found in the brain).  This is important because prolactin stimulates milk production.  So basically baby girl's body is telling my body to get its act in gear!
  • Her brain can now direct rhythmic breathing and control temperature.
  • Her hearing is well developed enough that she can turn her head in the womb to follow sounds that she hears.
  • She is probably going to start stealing even more calcium from me…the adorable lil' parasite!  I actually find it very reassuring to know that she will just take whatever she needs, even if it is to my detriment.  Fortunately, the one clear "craving" I've seemed to develop during this pregnancy is milk, so hopefully she won't have to resort to stealing calcium from me.  I've been consuming just shy of a carton a week!
  • She is adding fat and will continue to do so from here on out since she is probably going to be more than doubling her weight in the next 10 weeks or so.

Jamie and Cinn Update
We are doing well, although occasionally we fell overwhelmed by all the things we feel like we need to get done before baby girl's arrival. However, an excellent remedy for feeling overwhelmed for us is going outside! The past weekend Jamie worked on the cold frame (a glass and wood case you can start growing veggies in outside when it is cold) and I hung laundry outside (my all time favorite chore...it almost doesn't count as a chore).  Puttering around outside is so good for us!

A few weeks ago during Spring Break Jamie and I had a friend's wedding to attend east of Phoenix so we went camping for one night and then stayed in a hotel with friends for another two nights just north of Lake Roosevelt. I was a tad nervous about the camping because I thought I wouldn't sleep well, but it actually wasn't a problem at all!

Our campsite next to Sycamore Creek.  At it's deepest it is about 6" deep.  However we both sat in it when it was hot and happily drank our rootbeers!

We slept without a tent, just threw down a tarp and some sleeping bags.


One of my favorite parts about camping was the beautiful chorus of frogs and crickets that we listened to at night.  Between the noise and the full moon you would've thought sleeping would be tricky, but we both just knocked out! I used the "movie" feature of my camera to record a clip of the cacophony...enjoy!



4 comments:

Gramma Sue said...

OMG, that was so LOUD!!! I am glad you found it soothing and sleep provoking. And to think, baby girl could probably hear it, too! So, are you any closer to the final name(s)...I like to be able to tell folks, "my newest little granddaughter, (insert name), is going to be born in.... :) Love you all a lot

Mama of 5 said...

All I can think is....snakes! Would a snake try to join your slumber party?? Or...a spider...or a....(insert nasty creature you do not want to sleep with here).
Becky

Amanda said...

I love this... "the adorable lil' parasite!" So wonderfully maternal.

And I don't understand this.... "We slept without a tent, just threw down a tarp and some sleeping bags." Ummm, gosh this makes me feel like a wimp. There is NO way my imagination would let me share a comfortable sleep space exposed to desert nocturnal life. Nope.

Gramma Sue said...

I am NOT a camper. I spent too much of my growing up life with no electricity, wood stoves, and ice on the inside of the window panes. I love my creature comforts along with not chopping wood or wringing out clothes by hand before hanging them on the line to dry.

Post a Comment