Search This Blog

Thursday, March 3, 2011

Increasing viability (also known as "Why Cinnamon is thankful and excited for each new day")

So baby girl is now exactly 25 weeks.  I feel her kick every day (mostly right before I go to bed) and she is definitely continue to grow and grow (my belly is a definite testimony of this!).  Starting last week, baby girl's odds of living outside of the womb reached the point of feasibility and every single day increases those odds more and more.  Now, I would like her to cook as long as she needs to, but I find the fact that if something were to happen she could probably now make it very comforting.  You can find slight variations to this chart all over the internet, but as a general rule of thumb baby girl increases her odds every week in the following manner:

Up until 21 weeks: 0% survival rate


at 22 weeks: 0-10% survival rate


at 23 weeks: 10-35% survival rate


at 24 weeks: 40-70% survival rate


at 25 weeks: 50-80% survival rate

 (this is where we are!)
at 26 weeks: 80-90% survival rate


at 27 weeks: greater than 90% survival rate
at 30 weeks: greater than 95% survival rate
at 34 weeks: greater than 98% survival rate

Further more, between 24 and 26 weeks her odds go up 2-3% EVERY DAY!  At the same time her odds of having major medical issues associated with being premature go down EVERY DAY! Some people may find this a little grim, but for me it works.  At least once every day I give a little cheer of "another 2-3% baby girl! Yeah!" For me, it is very exciting!

3 comments:

Gramma Sue said...

I understand completely! As a gramma, I find this countdown so comforting because I think about my newest granddaughter and also my daughter (you) and your changing future and I am so happy you have found a way to enjoy this amazing experience. Thank you for the update. Also, have you begun to see the ripples and thumps of the kicks on the oyutside of your belly? Jamie, I think, will be very impressed with both of you when that happens.

mrana said...

I totally understand as well! One person's morbid, is another person's sunshine. I Loved these charts with my first pregnancy. I found that they eased a lot of tension each week (day) buy crossing off (while statistically improbable) possible catastrophes. Its all about the surfactant!

You (if you are like me) will spend a lot time becoming an expert on a variety of fluids that most people (for some reason) don't want to discuss at length as much as you will. Surfactant, to cervical fluids, to colostrum. Great stuff!

Amanda said...

OOOpsie! I accidentally posted that as my husband Matt. That is So F-ing funny, I can not even tell you. I do stuff like this all the time to him. I have made him look so facebook gay. Oh its awesome. Sorry if it seemed weird that a man you hardly know was chatty with you about cervical fluids!!!

Much love,
Amanda

Post a Comment